This is Litorina.
Litorina invests in niche market leading companies with headquarters in the Nordics. We partner with management teams and entrepreneurs that want our support to take the next step in their development.
Our team has more than 100 years of combined experience from investing in and supporting growth initiatives in leading Nordic companies. We are an active owner with a clear framework of how we support our companies.
We are passionate about what we do. Together with the companies we invest in, we set high goals and ambitions. By contributing capital for expansion, relevant experience, a network of knowledgeable advisors and our passion, we aim to double the size of the companies we invest in within a four to seven year period.
Litorina’s investors are long-term international institutional investors that directly or indirectly primarily manage pension savings for Nordic, European, Asian and US workers.
years combined team experience from investments
when it all started for Litorina
team members at Litorina
in latest fund
portfolio company investments since 1998
portfolio companies currently
in total sales
employees in the portfolio companies
What we look for.
We invest in profitable companies with a healthy business model where we can support further growth initiatives. Based on this, we select companies where we can add value and contribute with relevant experience. This means we are looking for:
- Niche market leading companies with headquarters in the Nordics
- Well managed and profitable companies with a clear value creation agenda
- Companies with EUR 10-100m in sales
- Companies that want our support to drive a growth-focused business agenda
- Focus on business services and consumer sectors
- Aim to double the size of the companies we invest in within four to seven years
- Create value through consolidation of fragmented markets, rolling out successful concepts in new markets and international expansion
How we add value
– The Litorina playbook.
Over the years, we have developed a clear model for how we add value to our companies. This is centered around the different phases in the investment life cycle.
At entry – set strategic direction and focus on key value drivers.
- We ensure we have alignment with the management team and entrepreneurs regarding the strategic direction and key value drivers
- Geographic expansion is often a key value driver, within the Nordic region and sometimes also globally
- We support our companies working with buy-and-build, roll-out and acquisition-driven value creation
- We help drive value creation through digitalization, increased online competence and e-commerce excellence
- Operational excellence, realizing best practises and synergies are often important tools to drive value creation
Setting the structure.
- The first 12 to 18 months of an investment, we focus on introducing our governance model where we separate and establish the different roles of the owners, board and management
- Together with our partners we appoint a board with an external chairman and one to three additional advisors who can support the management team in specific areas of expertise
- We work with the team to set a suitable management structure and identify recruitment needs to have the right resources in place and work towards the agreed strategic direction
- Set a financial reporting framework with good financial and operational key performance indicators
Setting the plan.
- Once we have the right resources and team in place, the board, together with the management team, set a joint business plan for the next three to five years
- We create a business plan that focuses on a limited number of key value drivers and activities needed to reach our goals
- We set a framework for continuous monitoring of the plan with yearly strategic reviews
- Litorina works through the board. We usually have six ordinary board meetings per year where different themes and topics are discussed
- Between the board meetings, there is a close dialogue between the CEO, chairman and Litorina in so called troika meetings
- At the request of management, the board and Litorina support the team in specific projects and initiatives
Litorina advisor network.
Litorina works together with a network of more than 50 advisors who are current or former business executives or entrepreneurs with international experience, mainly within our core business services and consumer sectors. These advisors help support Litorina when selecting and evaluating our new investments as well as through active board roles in our portfolio companies.
Below, we present a selection of our current advisors – people who currently work together with Litorina in the boards of our portfolio companies.